Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Starting a business, Designing a website

Over the past two months i have been creating a website as a way to kick start a career. I want to be a designer and an artist and i feel this is the way to get started. I registered the domain johncamilleri.com.au and spoke to a web designer about how to run and install all the necessary programs to maintain a website.
After making the site live I have since added many photos and have done a couple of blog posts. I haven't told many people about it because i want to have it fully complete before doing an advertisement to about 12000 people through social media sites like facebook.com and twitter.com. Also a company i work for called Love That Music have been giving me full support with access to there IT guy. They have also offered me a launch party which i would love to have.
When i first started out i wanted to have the site up and running with advertisements out within a fortnight, a week in i set myself a realistic timeline, including photo-shoots and advertising dates. I have now set the launch date for the 28th of July. Looking back now i was just so excited to be having my own website, i am glad i have waited to have everything sorted for releasing it.
In the last week i have added a new site apparel1.johncamilleri.com.au to the main website. This lets viewers have a separate site when they click on the word Apparel. The first reason i had a separate site for my apparel was so i could have a standard layout of a clothing store with a checkout and payment option. Once again being realistic. i realised how an online store was unnecessary for a new business with no where near enough traffic if any at all. Secondly i think i want to have all my apparel as custom clothes and each piece a design brief in itself.
Getting closer to the date i feel i am more prepared and i have definitely learnt a lot from this process, i can't wait to do the photo shoot and see the site finally be advertised!

No comments:

Post a Comment